I am the kind of person who believes that Life is not meant to be lived in one place. Therefore, it is nice to discover as many places as possible. Usually, we think that we always have to travel to do this and we forget that we don’t know a lot about our own country.
What about starting to plan weekends in different regions and just play the Tourist in your own country?
Tyre is around 1.5 hours far from Beirut. It is the fourth largest city in Lebanon and is Phoenician with lots of Roman History. Naqoura is one of the last cities in the Lebanese Southern border. It is the headquarter of the United Nations Interim Force (UNIFIL) in Lebanon.
Here are 10 things to do while in Tyre & Naqoura:
1- Spend a day at the beach: Both Tyre and Naqoura have beautiful beaches. The one in Tyre is called the Tyre Coast Nature Reserve protected by UNESCO. It is sandy. You can go there for free and find many kiosks that serve sea food. I like to go to Cloud 59. I recommend to reserve your table for lunch ahead of time. Tyre is known for diving. Apparently, there are beautiful caves and turtles that I added to my to-do list.
The beach in Naqoura is rocky. I chose with my friends some random spot that we found quiet and clean. But you can always go to resorts like Tyros Resort & Turquoise Beach Resort which are well known.
2- Watch one of the most Beautiful Sunsets
3- Do some Historical Tourism: Visit the Al Bass Archaeological site and the Hippodrome as well as Al Mina Archeological Site. I always recommend to have a guide to appreciate these monuments. Check their opening hours in winter and summer.
Photos Credit: Antoine CHEMALI
4- Eat at Le Phenicien and Take a look at the beautiful house next to it
This is a well known restaurant next to the port where you can enjoy some sea food and a very good Lebanese dessert. Next to it, you can take some pics of a beautiful house. Do not miss the bird house as well.
5- Visit the old Tyre port and enjoy a short boat tour in the sea
It is not a fancy port at all. Tyre is known for its fishermen. Some offer their small boats to have a tour in the sea for very cheap prices. I enjoyed it a lot while listening to some Fairouz songs.
6- Walk in the old city and discover the beauty of the Catholic Quarter
Tyre is known for its old city with its colorful small streets that a car can barely pass. There are lots of churches and mosques in this area.
7- Have a drink at night
8- Sleep in a beautiful Hotel and enjoy a good breakfast
- Tyre Boutique Apartments: It is a recent renovated building where you can rent apartments. I found it by chance on Airbnb but you can contact them by phone. It is the best choice I would recommend. It is inside the Catholic quarter. The stuff is super friendly especially Amanda who is the owner’s relative. You should definitely consider it for your next weekend in Sour
- Al Fanar: One of the oldest hotels
- Rest house: Directly next to the beach
- Dar Alma: One of the most famous and fancy hotels in the Catholic quarter in Tyre
- Al Yasmine Guesthouse: It is 20 min far from the city in a very quiet area. I would recommend it as a lazy getaway because it is worth to stay and enjoy the pool, the nature, the ducks, the deers and can be a beautiful choice for families.
- Asamina Boutique Hotel: It is located in the Catholic quarter in Tyre and recommended by some people around.
9- Discover the rocks of the Bayada: It is not that simple to arrive there. You park next to Tyros Resort and walk along the coast. Be careful because the road is not easy while walking.
10- Eat at Amwaj el Bayada
One of the best views in Lebanon. You can enjoy a good Lebanese meal while watching from above the amazing big blue sea.
That’s all folks! Hope you will enjoy your getaway to Tyre and Naqoura! Happy Curling!
The Amazing Feature Image is by Joe SOKHN.