Goodbye Winter & Hello Spring! This is the season where many people start to plan the summer vacation. Greece is one of the most trendy destinations people choose for their vacation. It combines beautiful weather, good cuisine, touristic places, beach and partying! Nothing can be better than this mixture.
I had the chance to visit Mykonos only although Greece is much richer. I haven’t been everywhere in Greece but it is on my list! Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Naxos, Crete, Hydra… There are many non touristic islands as well that are beautiful but should be recommended by locals. I would be really glad to have recommendations.
It is known that Mykonos has a large gay community. But it is a destination for everyone. You will find mainly young people coming to party but you will find as well many families coming to enjoy the sun and the beach with their kids and allowing the parents to go to few parties during the vacation.
Flight & Hotels
Aegean airlines usually have reasonable prices for flights. You can also choose to come by ferry from another Greek region.
For the Lebanese readers, you have charter flights that most agencies offer. Although I love to plan it myself, charter packages can have good prices with average hotels. It can be time saving to check them if you are not into planning. But you cannot choose the flight without the hotel in the charter package.
The hotel we stayed in was Kamari Hotel, a lovely 4 star with a Greek style (white with blue and red windows). It is not a fancy 4 star hotel. It is more oriented beach destination. It is 2 minutes walking from Platis Gialos Beach and 13 minutes from Psarou Beach. It is next to a bus station and is 12 min far by bus from Mykonos old town. Rooms have balcony; it has a swimming pool. Towels can be provided from the reception to be used next to the pool only. They can help you reserving some tours. Their staff is really friendly. I would have preferred to reserve through Airbnb as well because you can have an amazing experience with the beautiful Greek white houses on the beach. But we couldn’t make it unfortunately.
Mykonos is like a village with lots of narrow ups and downs. It is hot during the day. So it is not really comfortable walking there. Here are your options for transportation:
- Quad or Scooter: It is the most recommended. Do not forget your international driving license.
- Car: If you are more than two and have a higher budget, you can rent a car. Do not forget your international driving license.
- Bus: You can always take the bus. Mykonos Town is the central station to reach any region in Mykonos including Platis Gialos, Paradise Beach, Paraga, Ornos…
- Sea Bus: What’s really cool in most beach destinations is the boat taxi to go from a beach to another. Try them! It is pretty nice and not expensive! It is practical as well to transfer from the new port (for cruises) to the old port (Town).
Things to do in Mykonos
- Mykonos Town (or Center) – Chora: it is a real example of a life labyrinth. Matoyianni Street is famous for shopping.
- Little Venice: I just loved this area which is full of small restaurant and bars. Recommended on Sunset!
- Wind Mills: The icon of Mykonos! You cannot go to Mykonos and miss taking photos of these famous windmills. You should go there on sunset and take photos of the little venice from outside. I let you check their history.
- Small churches in the old town including Paraportiani Church
- Petros the Pelican: it is the mascot of Mykonos. You will find it wandering slowly in the small streets of Mykonos town. It is friendly and everyone is happy to see it. It prefers the harbor area in general. Do not be afraid when you see it while walking in the town! 🙂
- Henna Tattoo
- Visit as many beaches as possible! Details in the next section.
Mykonos is well known for its beaches. All are beautiful and clean with amazing colors. There is a lot of wind so be aware that the water is cold. There is no entrance to most beaches. You can put your towel and just sit unless you want to be more comfortable and rent chairs and umbrellas. It is still cheap! You can do many water activities but it all depends on the wind. I am sure that the people who love wind surfing will find their heaven. You can always consider snorkeling and scuba diving as the water is very transparent and enjoyable!
Mykonos is well known for its party mood day and night. But you can find all kind of beaches that fits your mood.
- Quiet Beaches
- Agrari Beach (our favorite)
- Platis Gialos (Family)
- Kalafati (recommended for wind surfing)
- Ftelia (recommended for wind surfing)
- Kalo Livadi
- Touristic & Party Beaches
- Super Paradise
- Celebrity Beach
- Psarou (Although we did not see anyone famous)
- Walking Tour in Mykonos Old Town
- Tinos (Orthodox History Tour)
- Delos & Rhenia ()
- Wine Trip
- Sunset Cruise
- Greek Salad
- Sea Food: Grilled Octopus, Saganaki Shrimp, mussels, etc…
- Greek Yogurt
Restaurants we tried:
In most restaurants, we were trying the Greek Cuisine along with Sea Food platters which were really good.
- Sunset Cocktails Cafe
- Taverna Niko’s
- Music Cafe
- I Scream
- Fato a mano
- Malibu Crepes
- Fish Tavern Kounelas
- Viva Mare – Hotel Kosmoplaz @ Platis Yialos
- Avli Tou Thodori @ Platis Yialos
- Atlantida @ Platis Yialos
Nightlife & Partying
- Mykonos Town: Either you pay per drink or a minimum charge with one or 2 drinks. I listed the main ones that we tried. But I am pretty sure that Mykonos is full of amazing bars with nice music.
- Skandinavian Bar (Very good music, One of our favorite)
- Semeli The Bar: We didn’t stop dancing! Amazing memories! 🙂
- Little Venice: You can find many pubs. We used to start having drinks there around sunsets awaiting later louder music.
- Jackie O’ Bar
- Outside Old Town
- Cavo Paradiso: The Famous Nightclub in Mykonos. It hosts international DJs. It is better to reserve and there is an entrance fee.
- Paradise Club: The Mykonos experience day & night
- Tropicana Club next to Paradise/Super Paradise: You can’t imagine how people party here during the day starting 4pm! We were a bit shocked! 🙂
What to buy:
- Alcohol Greek drinks: Mastica (we used to order it as a shot), Ouzo, Wine
- Greek Baklava
- Ceramics (We got some nice small souvenirs of Greek houses)
Hope you will enjoy your trip to Mykonos! We had memorable moments! We enjoyed the beautiful beaches, the weather and danced from the bottom of the heart! We met nice people and it is definitely a trip to remember! Cheers to Happy Days!